Older Adults Protective Services (60+)



Our Protective Services Unit offers 24-hour services for any Cumberland County resident age 60 or older who is incapacitated and is unable to perform or obtain services that are necessary to maintain health, having no responsible caretaker, and is at imminent risk of  abuse, neglect, exploitation, or abandonment.

      Who Should Report Suspected Abuse?  How To Report Suspected Abuse. What happens Next?

Who Should Report Suspected Abuse? 

Any person who suspects that an incapacitated older adult is being abused, neglected, exploited or abandoned may file a report 24 hours a day.  People who deal with older adults professionally are required to report suspected abuse or neglect to Older Adult Protective Services. This includes healthcare providers, social workers, law enforcement personnel, and many others. But anyone, including friends, family, and neighbors can report abuse or neglect. Abuse reports can be made on behalf of an older adult whether the person lives in the community or in a care facility such as a nursing home, personal care home, hospital, etc.  Those who file a report may remain anonymous and have legal protection from retaliation, discrimination and civil or criminal prosecution. As always, if someone is in immediate danger or is in a life-threatening situation, Call 911 first.

To Report Suspected Abuse:

All Calls Between 8:00 a.m - 4:30 p.m. Emergency Calls Between 4:30p.m. - 8:00a.m.
  • Carlisle Area: 717-240-6110
  • Carlisle Area: 717-243-4121
  • 888-697-0371 x6110
  • 1-888-697-0371 x4121

What Happens Next?

Every report of abuse received by Cumberland County Aging & Community Services is thoroughly reviewed by a specially trained Protective Services Caseworker to determine if the reported victim needs help. In emergency or life-threatening situations, help will be immediate. Otherwise, the protective service worker will conduct a face-to-face visit with the older person within 24 to 72 hours, depending on the urgency. After a report is investigated, identified as protective, and it has been determined that service is needed, the older person is then offered assistance. This may include a care plan for in-home services, financial management services, or, in extreme circumstances, arranging for court-ordered intervention or guardianship determination. First and foremost, though, emphasis is always placed on the individual's right to self-determination. Anyone who has the mental capacity has the legal right to refuse services and has the right to a guarantee that all information concerning their case will be maintained as confidential.