What about divorce and custody

Can I get a public defender to represent me in my divorce action or my custody case? 


Divorce and custody cases are civil proceedings. Public Defender services are only available for criminal court, contempt court, and juvenile court. Legal Services, Inc., in the Minerva Mills Building at 401 E. Louther Street, Carlisle, PA, 17013, 243-9400 or 1-800-822-5288, provides representation in some civil cases for individuals who cannot retain an attorney. 

For civil matters, you may contact Mid-Penn Legal Services to find an office near you.

Additionally, the Cumberland County Bar Association operates a lawyer referral program. Upon request you will be provided names of lawyers willing to receive referrals of cases like your own. You will be entitled to a 1/2 hour office consultation for a fee of $25 after a referral from the program. This is available in civil as well as criminal cases. The Cumberland County Bar Association is located at 32 S. Bedford Street, Carlisle, PA, 17013, 249-3166.