The Drug & Alcohol Commission created the Youth Advisory Board (YAB) in May 2003 to provide interested teens with opportunities to take a leadership role in preventing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug abuse in their schools and communities.
We benefit, too. Youth Advisory Board members help us better understand what is happening in our schools and communities. Based upon the Board’s guidance we have been better equipped to develop relevant prevention programming tools.
YAB, comprised primarily of high school students, meets regularly from September to May. Members also participate in activities throughout the year, particularly community service and leadership development opportunities.
We are looking for students who want to:
- Be a difference-maker in their family, school, and community.
- Meet and work with students from other parts of the county to promote positive messages.
- Get to know students interested in a substance-free lifestyle and helping others remain substance-free.
- Develop team-building and leadership skills.
- Be an example for peers while having fun, being creative, and spending time with students who share similar attitudes about substance use.
Recruitment begins in the spring for the following school year. Any rising 9th grade through 12th grade student from a Cumberland County school district (including Shippensburg and West Shore) is invited to apply for membership. Preference given to 9th and 10th grade students.
For more information, please email email@example.com
or call us at 717-240-6300.